How To RV
A not-so-definitive guide to RVing (for beginners)
Tools You’ll need
The following tools will be key to success in RVing, don't leave home without them.
- Lug Wrench
- Jack or Trailer-Aid
- Robertson driver
- 15ft Sewer Hose
- 30amp to 50amp Adapter
- Plan your gas station stops.
- Loves, TA Travel Plaza, Pilot are ideal.
- If Diesel, use truck lanes, but you have to go in and pre-pay
- Always be aware of your height.
- If you miss a turn, stay calm. Don’t try to whip it into a parking lot.
- If you’re new at backing a trailer, get pull-thrus if possible.
- Setting up after dark is incredibly difficult. Avoid as much as possible. Also, use lights (ones with magnets that can light up your rig are better)
- Use Cell Phones or walkie talkies to communicate with your partner when backing.
- Develop a common vocabulary (Rear of trailer needs to move in to the passenger side)
Cell Service Tips
- You’re not on wifi anymore Toto.
- How to find RV Parks that have good signal
- Tether / Hotspot etc
- When tethering, beware of background apps.
RV Travel Apps
- RVLife iPhone App for navigation
- Turn on “Avoid Unpaved Roads”
- Campendium.com (for cell service)
- Try Googling “Things to do near [location]”